Dakota-style Bison Stew
- 2 pounds bison meat, cubed
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup red onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 quarts water (recommended: Missouri River Water)
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 2 to 3 bay leaves
- 20 peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 3 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium turnip, diced
- 1 medium rutabaga, diced
- 1 medium yam, diced
- 1 large ear sweet corn, kernels removed
- Salt and pepper
Brown the meat in a large Dutch oven with the oil and onions. Add 1 quart of water to the pot along with the bouillon and bring to a simmer. Add spices and remaining vegetables to the pot and simmer for 45 minutes. Add the remaining 1/2 quart of water and continue simmering for an additional 1 1/2 hours. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
This recipe is best cooked in the shade of a cottonwood tree, and served with homemade bread and chokecherry jelly.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.