Beet and Potato Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing and Dill
- 2 pounds new potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound beets, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (just the greens)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (I like Smokey Blue best)
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a bowl, toss the potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil to coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then spread the potatoes out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toss the beets with the remaining 1 tablespoon coconut oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and spread out in a single layer on a second baking sheet. Add 2 tablespoons water to the beets. Transfer the baking sheets to the oven and bake for 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are golden brown, stirring halfway through. If the beets start to look dry, add a little more water. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes.
Transfer the cooked potatoes and beets (and any accumulated beet juices) to a salad bowl. Add the celery, green onions, dill, the dressing and some salt and pepper. Toss to coat well with dressing. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Just before serving fold in the blue cheese.
Recipe courtesy of Damaris Phillips