Broccoli Dressed 2 Ways
- 2 heads broccoli, trimmed into florets and steamed for 4 to 5 minutes
- Sweet Spicy and Tangy:
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 long strips lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
Divide the cooked broccoli into 2 serving bowls.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, brown sugar, and chili flakes until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon peel and cook briefly until beginning to turn golden brown, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add the vinegar mixture and salt and simmer 2 minutes longer.
Pour dressing over half the broccoli florets and serve immediately.Hot Lemon Garlic Oil:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed and thinly sliced
2 long, wide strips lemon peel
1 lemon, juiced
Salt and about 10 grinds freshly ground pepper
Heat the olive oil, garlic, and lemon peel over medium heat and let sizzle gently for a few minutes until garlic is lightly browned. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper and heat for another minute. Pour dressing over half the broccoli florets and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Dave Lieberman