Bubby's Turkey Meatloaf with Red Pepper Sauce
- 2 pounds ground turkey (preferably dark meat only)
- 2 eggs
- 3 ounces tomato paste (1/2 of 1 small can, reserving rest for the sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- Red Pepper Sauce:
- 3 ounces tomato paste (from reserved 1/2 can)
- 1 small onion, roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, cored, and roughly chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 15 grinds black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the meatloaf and work together completely by hand until all ingredients are evenly distributed and the mixture is uniform. Place meat mixture into a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and shape into a loaf about 11 inches long and 4 inches wide. It is important to form it like this so that it cooks evenly throughout. The loaf should be in the middle of the pan with room on both sides for the sauce to pool.
Red Pepper Sauce:
Place all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Cover the meatloaf with the sauce and allow excess sauce to pool around the meatloaf. Cover pan with aluminum foil but avoid contact with meat loaf by leaving at least a couple inches of space between the top of the meatloaf and the foil. Bake for 45 minutes, then uncover and bake 45 minutes longer. Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.