Red Wine Pot Roast with Honey and Thyme
I couldn't leave a meat section without a pot roast recipe. This is the ultimate one pot meal and so low maintenance. Pot roast is an inexpensive[ way to get a lot of tasty meat. The honey and thyme add a really nice perfume to the dish.]
- 1 bottom round roast, about 4 pounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 small onions, medium diced
- 1 head garlic (about 10 to 12 cloves), lightly smashed
- 1 pound carrots (about 4 medium), cut roughly into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups medium-bodied red wine
- 2 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 5 to 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 to 2-inch cubes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Season roast with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven over high heat for a couple minutes. Add the meat and brown well on all sides, about 10 minutes total. Remove and set aside on a plate. Lower heat to medium and saute onions, garlic, and carrots for 5 minutes. Add the broth, wine, honey, and thyme, stir to combine, and then add the roast back to the pot.
Cover pot and transfer to oven. Bake for 2 hours, turning the meat over twice. Add the potatoes to the pot and bake, uncovered, for another 30 to 45 minutes longer until both the potatoes and the meat are fork-tender.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.