Des Allemands Catfish Delight
Recipe courtesy Roy Lunk
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 5 min
- 30 min
- 35 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 4 cups vegetable oil
- 2 pounds catfish fillets
- Lemon pepper
- Garlic powder
- 1 cup English style batter mix, plus 2 cups
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 4 ounces (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1 (8-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (8-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 (8-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 6 slices cheese (recommended: Velveeta brand)
- 1 teaspoon liquid crab boil
- 1 pound crabmeat
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup pecan halves
Heat the oil in a large, deep pot to 350 degrees F.
Pat fillets dry with clean paper towels and season, to taste with salt, lemon pepper, and garlic powder. Dust lightly with 1 cup of the dry batter mix. Mix the 2 remaining cups of dry batter mix with the water and add the chopped pecans.
Coat the fillets with the batter and place in the hot vegetable oil. Fry until golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Set aside on paper towels.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and add chopped green onions and parsley. Saute for 3 minutes. Add the soups, cheese, and liquid crab boil and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add crabmeat and cook an additional 5 minutes. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Prepare a bed of sauce on a serving platter and place fish on sauce. Partially cover fillets with sauce. Garnish with pecans and parsley.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.