Dessert Waldorf Salad with Roquefort
- 1/4 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Pinch salt
- 1 sweet red apple (do not peel), cored and diced
- 1 tart green apple (do not peel), cored and diced
- 1/4 cup fennel, diced
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 leaves fresh mint, shredded
- 1/4 cup strong blue cheese, crumbled (recommended: Roquefort)
- 4 slices cinnamon-raisin bread
Put 4 serving plates in the refrigerator to chill.
In a large bowl, whisk the apple juice concentrate, lemon juice, sour cream and salt. Add the apples, fennel, raisins, walnuts, mint and Roquefort and toss gently just until combined. Divide on serving plates. Just before serving, toast the bread and cut each slice diagonally into quarters. Arrange around the salads and serve immediately.
Courtesy Gale Gand, “Butter Sugar Flour Eggs” by Gale Gand, Rick Tramonto, Julia Moskin, Clarkson N. Potter Publishers, 1999