- 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, lightly crushed with the side of a knife blade
- 3 pounds fresh beets, peeled and quartered
- 2 English cucumbers, peeled and diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 fresh lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped dill pickle
Heat grapeseed oil over medium heat in a large pot and add onion and garlic, sauteing them until they are translucent. Add beets and cucumber, and cover with 6 cups water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and cook until tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from heat and bring to room temperature.
Add orange juice and blend with an immersion blender, or in batches in a conventional blender. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in lime juice and chill.
Spoon into serving bowls, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and sprinkle with dill pickle.