- 2 2/3 cups (12-ounces) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons (4 ounces) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups (14 ounces) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups (10 ounces) strong coffee
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin tins with cupcake wrappers.
In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside.
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth. Set the mixer to low speed and add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping thoroughly between each addition. Alternately add the flour and sour cream mixtures to the butter mixture in 2 batches, starting and ending with the flour mixture. Scrape down the bowl after each addition. Gradually pour in the coffee. Scrape down the bowl and beat until thoroughly combined.
Divide the batter evenly between the muffin tins. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes or until they spring back after being touched. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 20 minutes.