Dominican Chicken Lollipops: Chicharron de Pollo
- 2 shallots, peeled and trimmed
- 1 onion, cut into large dice
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 peppercorns
- 1/4 cup dried oregano leaves
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 1 1/4 cups salad oil
- 24 chicken wings trimmed and sectioned, tip and 2-bone section reserved for stock, meat pushed down to expose the single bone making a drummette or lollipop
- Flour, for dredging
- Canola oil, for frying
- Jalapeno Dipping Sauce, recipe follows
- Jalapeno Dipping Sauce:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 jalapeno, halved
In a food processor, puree the shallots, onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, bay leaves, peppercorns, and oregano with the white vinegar. Add the oil (do not puree, just mix in) and season with salt. Cover the chicken drummettes with the marinade. Marinate chicken, covered and refrigerated, for at least 4 hours.
In a large size frying pan, heat 1-inch oil. Drain the chicken from the marinade. Dredge the chicken in flour, season with salt and pepper. Fry the drummettes until cooked through. Serve on a platter with Jalapeno Dipping Sauce.Jalapeno Dipping Sauce:
In a small saucepan, heat the vinegar. Once warm, add the mustard, honey, and jalapeno. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and serve.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.