Dried Fruit Compote
- 1/3 cup chopped dried apples
- 1/3 cup chopped dried pears
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries or cherries
- 2/3 cup dried apricots
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 cup water
- Serving suggestion: ice cream
In a large bowl combine all of the dried fruit and add enough hot water to cover by an inch. Soak for 20 minutes. Drain the mixture.
In a saucepan combine the fruit with the sugar, the lemon and orange zests, the lemon juice, and the water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer the mixture for 10 to 20 minutes, or until the fruit is tender. Remove the pan from the heat and let the compote cool. The compote will keep for a week if covered and chilled. Serve the compote at room temperature with ice cream.