Duck Foie Gras in Spiced Red Wine
- 1 1/2 bottles red wine (preferably from Bordeaux)
- About 1 pound fresh duck liver
- 3 1/2 ounces sliced carrots
- 4 pieces star anise
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves
- 1 tablespoon sweet peppercorns
- 2 large handfuls coarse salt
- 1 large handful powdered sugar
- Salad, your choice, for serving
- Vinaigrette, your choice, for serving
- Green asparagus, for serving
Pour the wine into a large cast iron pot and add all of the ingredients. Place a lid on the pot, and heat on the stove for a minimum of 5 minutes, or until boiling. Remove the pot from the fire and be sure that the duck liver is completely submerged in the liquid. Allow everything to come to room temperature, and then place the pot in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Remove the duck liver from the wine, and cut into thick slices. Accompany the meat with a salad and some green asparagus spears served with a vinaigrette.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.