Purple Potato Salad
- 2 pounds purple-skinned fingerling potatoes, quartered lengthwise
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 5 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Kosher salt
- 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup horseradish, drained
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 4 half-sour dill or sweet pickles, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
Combine the potatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, 1 tablespoon vinegar and 1 tablespoon salt in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender but not mushy, 7 to 10 minutes. Add the onion and cook until almost tender, about 1 more minute. Drain, discarding the garlic. Let the potatoes cool.
Whisk the remaining 4 tablespoons vinegar, the sugar and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Mix in the mayonnaise, sour cream and horseradish. Add the celery and pickles, then gently fold in the potatoes and chopped herbs. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Photograph by Rick Lew
Thank you! your flag was submitted.