Eggplant and Pepper Tian on Fried Eggplant
- 4 cups small dice eggplant, lightly salted to release excess water and bitterness
- 2 cups peeled and brunoised red pepper
- 2 cups peeled and brunoised yellow pepper
- 1/2 cup brunoised apple-wood smoked bacon
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons basil chiffonade
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly picked thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Fried Eggplant, recipe follows
Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Place 1/2-teaspoon extra virgin olive oil in a saute pan and add garlic cloves and bacon. Cook until bacon is slightly crisp. Blot the salted eggplant with paper towels to dry slightly. Discard 1/2 of the fat and add the eggplant. Cook until tender, season with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper. Drain and remove garlic.
In 2 separate saute pans add the remaining extra virgin olive oil and gently saute the red and yellow peppers until tender. Season with salt, pepper, and basil chiffonade. Drain. Form the tians by placing a layer of eggplant in a ring mold and packing it down gently. Next, add a layer of red peppers, then eggplant, finishing up with yellow peppers. Pack everything down gently. Warm when ready to serve and place on a piece of fried eggplant.
Recipe courtesy Tracy O'Grady