Eggplant and Tomato Pasta
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Coarse grained salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can peeled and crushed, or diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, optional
- Salt and coarsely ground fresh black pepper
- 1/4 cup basil (about 10 leaves), torn
- 8 ounces bow tie pasta ( farfalle), cooked al dente
Rinse the salt off the eggplant, and pat dry. Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add eggplant and cook, stirring often, until golden brown on all sides, about 20 minutes.
Add garlic, tomatoes and their juice to the pan. Stir in the sugar and salt. Simmer until sauce has slightly thickened, about 15 to 20 minutes or longer depending on how juicy your tomatoes are. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add the basil and cook 1 minute more. Serve over pasta.
Recipe courtesy of Kathleen Daelemans