- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 mediumlarge eggplant (6 cups cubed)
- 1 large red or green bell pepper
- 3 cups undrained canned tomatoes (28ounce can)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice or water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground fennel
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (2 teaspoons dried)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups chopped rinsed fresh spinach, packed (about 1/2 pound)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated feta cheese (optional
In a nonreactive stewpot, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil until translucent. Cut the eggplant into 1inch cubes and add them to the pot. Slice the pepper into 1inchsquare pieces. Crush the tomatoes. Add the peppers, tomatoes, apple juice or water, salt, and fennel to the pot. If using dried dill, add it now. Cover the pot and simmer, stirring frequently, until the eggplant is completely tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the fresh dill, if used, and add the lemon juice and spinach. Simmer for another minute or two until the spinach wilts but is still bright green. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.