Eggplant Salad: Shlada De-al Bedenjan
- 4 eggplant
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more as needed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large tomatoes, peeled and grated
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 flat-leaf parsley sprigs, finely chopped
- 4 cilantro sprigs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 lemons, quartered
Cut the eggplant into 2-inch cubes. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the eggplant and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the tomato, onion, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes. Add eggplant, paprika, cumin, black pepper, parsley, and cilantro and cook gently, mashing the ingredients occasionally, until any excess liquid cooks off, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add the vinegar, mix well, and let cool.
Transfer the eggplant salad to a platter and garnish with the lemon quarters.
Recipe courtesy Rafih Benjelloun, Imperial Fez Restaurant, Atlanta, GA