- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped pancetta
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 can San Marzano tomatoes, hand crushed
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 5 pieces prosciutto, chopped
- 1 small Parmesan rind
- 2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1 cup diced fresh mozzarella
For the pesto: In a food processor, combine the garlic, basil, parsley, olive oil and pepper flakes. Puree until smooth.
For the zuppa: In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and saute the pancetta and onions for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and tomatoes, stir well and cook for 10 minutes. Add the broth, prosciutto and cheese rind and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the eggplant, pasta and mozzarella.
Ladle into bowls, top with the pesto and serve warm.
This recipe was created by a contestant during a cooking competition. The Food Network Kitchens have not tested it for home use, therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.