Eight Jewel Stuffing for Turkey
- 3 cups glutinous rice
- 30 dried Chinese black mushrooms
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups bamboo shoots, diced
- 1 1/4 cups peeled water chestnuts, preferably fresh, coarsely chopped
- 8 Chinese sausages (lap cheung) diced
- 4 ounces Smithfield or country ham, diced
- 1 cup raw peanuts
- 6 scallions, green and white parts, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup thin soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- about 4 cups chicken stock
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Soak the glutinous rice in cold water for 1 hour. Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water until soft, drain reserving liquid, remove stems and discard. Slice into thin julienne strips.
In a carbon steel wok, heat the oil and stir-fry the mushrooms, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, Chinese sausage, ham, peanuts, scallions, ginger and garlic for 1 minute. Drain the rice and add to the mixture, tossing to mix well. Add the mushroom liquid, soy sauce, sherry and enough chicken stock to cover the rice mixture by 1-inch. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook just until the rice has absorbed the liquid and each grain is cooked through. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Dip a large wooden spoon in water and stuff turkey just before roasting.
Recipe courtesy Rosa Ross
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis