Elaine's Orange Rolls (Bitty Buns)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, softened (1 teaspoon per biscuit)
- 1 cup and 2 tablespoons orange marmalade (1 1/2 tablespoons per biscuit)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (1 teaspoon brown sugar)
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- Dash salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
For Biscuits: Combine dry ingredients for biscuit. Cut shortening into dry mixture. Add buttermilk and blend. Roll out biscuit dough on floured waxed paper until about 3/4 of an inch thick. Cut with a round biscuit cutter as if you were making biscuits. You'll get approximately 10 to 12 biscuits. Roll out each individual biscuit until it is 5 inches in diameter and 1/4-inch thick.
On each biscuit, layer butter, marmalade and brown sugar. Roll up each biscuit and slice into 3 pinwheels of equal size. Place rolls in 2 (7 by 7-inch) baking pans. (You can also use other dimensions of pans. The key is to keep the rolls close together). Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 to 10 minutes before icing.
The recipes for this program, which were provided by contributors and guests who may not be professional chefs, have not been tested in the Food Network's kitchens. Therefore, the Food Network cannot attest to the accuracy of any of the recipes.