Baked Beans with Ham
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 12 -ounces smoked Virginia ham, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Two 15-ounce cans navy beans (preferably low-sodium), drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes (preferably low-sodium)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ham and garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the beans, crushed tomatoes, water, molasses, mustard, vinegar, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until about half of the liquid is absorbed, 15 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Serving size: 1 1/4 cups baked beans
Thank you! your flag was submitted.