- 4 skinless chicken breast halves on the bone, about 2 pounds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can whole tomatoes in juice, chopped and juice reserved
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes or more to taste
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe
Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a saute pan over moderately-high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides, about 8 minutes. Remove the chicken.
Reduce the heat to moderate. Add the onion and pepper, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms begin to brown. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the wine and cook until reduced by half. Add the tomatoes and juice, oregano, red pepper flakes and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and simmer the mixture covered for 10 minutes.
Return the chicken breasts to the pan and simmer, covered, until the chicken is just done, about 20 minutes longer.
2005, Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved