Creamy Corn and Vegetable Soup
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels or 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen, thawed
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium zucchini, (about 1/2 pound) diced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
Put 2 cups of the corn and the milk into a blender or food processor, until smooth. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and cook, stirring until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining 2 cups of corn and the broth and bring to a boil. Add the pureed corn and tomatoes and cook until warmed through, but not boiling. Add the salt and season with pepper. Serve garnished with the basil ribbons.