Easy Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, (about 3 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups cooked chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast (1 breast half)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 (10-inch) whole-grain flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese mix or Cheddar
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
DirectionsWatch how to make this recipe.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushroom water is evaporated and they begin to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add chicken, cumin, chili powder and oregano and stir until all spices are incorporated. Add spinach, salt and pepper and cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes.
Lay 1 tortilla on a flat work surface and sprinkle with 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Spoon 1/2 chicken and vegetable mixture on top of cheese, then top with an additional 1/4 cup cheese. Top with another flour tortilla. Heat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Carefully place 1 quesadilla in pan and cook 3 minutes. Using a large spatula, gently flip quesadilla and cook an additional 3 minutes until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat with second quesadilla. Slice each quesadilla into quarters. Place 2 quarters on a plate with 1 tablespoon sour cream and 2 tablespoons salsa.
Eating Healthy in 2009. Copyright 2007 Ellie Krieger, All Rights Reserved.
Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray