Escarole with Pine Nuts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head of escarole (about 1 pound), washed, dried and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet for 2 minutes until fragrant and golden brown
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring, until shallots are soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add the escarole and cook, stirring, until it has wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken broth, and chili flakes. Bring simmer and cook over a medium heat, stirring occasionally, another 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in pine nuts just before serving.
Calories 130; Total Fat 10 g; (Sat Fat 1 g, Mono Fat 4 g, Poly Fat 3.5 g) ; Protein 4 g; Carb 9 g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 0 mg; Sodium 40 mg
Excellent source of: Vitamin A, Folate, Vitamin K, Manganese
Good source of: Fiber, Vitamin C, Pantothenic Acid, Copper, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Zinc
Thank you! your flag was submitted.