- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices Canadian bacon (about 2 ounces), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 4 cups red bliss potatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 cups chopped clams*
- 2 cups clam juice*
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Water, to cover
- Freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over a medium-high heat. Add the Canadian bacon, onions and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 6 minutes. Add the potatoes, clams, clam juice, thyme and water, to cover. Bring to a boil, and simmer until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
* Can use clams and clam juice from 2 (1-pound) containers of frozen chopped clams in natural juice, thawed.
* Recipe Analysis Note
Ingredients without discrete measurements such as "Salt, to taste" or "Ice cream, optional" are omitted from analysis. This is because amounts can be highly variable and difficult to determine.