Acorn Squash Risotto with Duck and Sage
- 1 large acorn squash, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 cups duck stock or you can substitute chicken stock
- 1 cup cooked duck meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup grated fresh Parmesan
- Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Split squash in half across the middle, remove the seeds. Grease a baking sheet with 1 teaspoon of the olive oil, and place squash, cut side down on the baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, or until tender. Allow to cool, and then peel and dice the flesh into 1-inch cubes.
In a saucepan heat the remaining oil, add shallots, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, and saute, stirring for 1 minute. Stir in the stock, 1 teaspoon salt, and a pinch of pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until rice is tender about 18 minutes.
Fold in squash, duck, sage, cream, cheese, and butter, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes.