Aldie's Veal Chop with Arugula and Tomatoes
- 4 (12-ounce) bone-in veal chops
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1 cup bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine dried bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup clarified butter
- 1 bunch arugula, stemmed, washed, patted dry, and chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes (about 1 1/4 pounds), cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
One at a time, using a thin sharp knife, cut a slit into the side of the meaty part of each chop, about 3 inches long and 1-inch deep, being careful not to cut all the way through to the bone. Gently open out the chop so the meat surface is about twice as wide as before. Place the chop between 2 large pieces of plastic wrap on a work surface. Using a flat meat mallet, pound the meat until 1/4-inch thick.
Season both sides of each chop with 1/2 teaspoon of the Essence. Combine the flour with 1 tablespoon of the Essence in a shallow bowl. Put the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl and season with the remaining 1 tablespoon Essence. Combine the eggs and milk in another shallow bowl and whisk to blend.
Heat the clarified butter in a large heavy nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Two at a time, add the chops and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Cut into a chop at the bone to check for donenessthey should be barely pink. Using a slotted spatula, transfer the chops to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you cook the other chops.
Meanwhile, toss the arugula, tomatoes, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Place a chop on each plate. Mound a portion of the arugula salad on top of each chop, and serve with a lemon wedge on the side.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
More Recipes and Ideas:
My Favorite Veal Chops, Crawfish Stuffed Veal Chops with Crawfish Marchin de Vine Sauce and Creamy White Cheddar Cheese Grits, Peach and Black Pepper Veal Chops, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Arugula, Asian, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.