- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound ground andouille or other pork sausage
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 cup seeded and finely chopped green bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions, green parts only
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat the oil in a medium-size saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the onions, celery, bell peppers, salt and cayenne and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of the parsley and green onions. Cool the mixture for 10 minutes.
Add the butter to a large cast iron skillet. Place in the oven and melt the butter.
Whisk the egg yolks and cream together in a large mixing bowl. Add the cornmeal and whisk until the batter is smooth.
Fold the sausage mixture into the batter.
In another mixing bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer until very stiff and peaks form, then fold into the sausage batter. Pour the batter into the skillet and sprinkle the top with 1/4 cup of the cheese. Bake until is sets, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes. Spoon onto a serving plate and serve. Garnish with remaining cheese and parsley.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.