For the Curry Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
For the Scallops:
- 16 large sea scallops
- 2 large eggs, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 pound cooked angel hair pasta
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
For the Curry Sauce: In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, and curry powder, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the chicken stock and orange juice, and bring to a boil. Cook until reduced by 1/2, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the cream and cook until thickened, about 1 minute. Strain and serve with the scallops.
Lightly coat the scallops with the eggwash and season the scallops with Essence and salt. Wrap each scallop with strands of cooked pasta until completely covered like a rubber band ball. Place the covered scallops in batches in the hot oil and cook just until golden brown, turning, about 2 minutes. Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Serve hot, 4 scallops per person, with the curry sauce.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.