Apple and Cherry Pie with Oatmeal Crumble Topping
- 3 large sweet, firm apples, such as Braeburn, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 pieces
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen pitted cherries, rinsed well
- 2/3 cup roughly chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 unbaked pie crust, for a 9 or 10-inch deep dish baking pan
- Vanilla ice cream, as accompaniment
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large bowl, combine the apples, cherries, walnuts, granulated sugar, orange juice, orange zest, 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg and cornstarch and toss well to combine.
In a separate bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, flour, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg. Blend the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Line a 9 or 10-inch deep baking dish with pie crust and pour in the fruit mixture. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the top and bake for 20 minutes. Lower the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue baking until bubbly, apples are tender, the top is golden brown, and the pie crust is browned, 35 to 40 minutes longer. Remove from the oven and let rest at least 15 minutes. Serve warm, with vanilla ice cream on top.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse