Apple Cheddar Hand Pies
- 2 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup cubed Cheddar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Vanilla ice cream, accompaniment
- Maple Glaze, recipe follows
- Maple Glaze:
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 7 tablespoons maple syrup
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a bowl, toss the apples with the lemon juice. Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and toss to combine.
In a saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Cook apple mixture for 7 to 10 minutes until apple juices release and apples are slightly softened. Sprinkle flour over mixture. Cook for about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry sheet. With pizza wheel, cut pastry sheet into 6 squares.
Add the cubed cheese to cooled apple mixture. Divide the apple mixture in the center of each pastry square, leaving a 1-inch border along the long sides. Carefully fold into triangle shape; crimp the ends together with fork to seal, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water to make an egg wash. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the outside of each square with the egg wash. Using a paring knife, make a vent in each triangle.Maple Glaze:
Combine sugar and syrup until smooth.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.