Applesauce and Sage Glazed Pork Loin with Parsnips and Turnips
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 to 3 pound boneless pork loin, tied at 1/2-inch intervals
- 2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/4 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups small diced parsnips
- 1 1/2 cups small diced turnips
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Set a 12-inch saute pan over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. Season the pork with 2 teaspoons of the salt, the Essence and 1 teaspoon of the black pepper. Sear the pork in the hot pan for 2 minutes on each of the four sides, and on the two ends as well. Place the pork in a slow cooker and add the chicken stock to the pot. Lay the parsnips and turnips around the pork, salt them with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and place the lid over the crock pot. Turn the heat up to high and cook the roast for 3 hours.
While the roast is cooking, combine the applesauce, sugar, vinegar, sage, rosemary and ginger in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir. Cook until the applesauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. After the roast has cooked for 3 hours, pour the glaze over the top and replace the lid. Continue to cook for 1 hour longer, until very tender. Serve with the pan juices.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Slow-Cooker Parmesan-Sage Pork Loin and Watercress Salad with Sliced Pears, Goat Cheese and Toasted Pine Nuts, Smoked Pork Loin Center Cut Chops in Belgian Ale Marinade, Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw, Gingerbread Recipes, Baked Ham Recipes, Pork Shoulder Recipes, Pork Tenderloin Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, Easy Snack
Thank you! your flag was submitted.