Apricot and Peach Galette with Walnut Paste and Creme Fraiche
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 3 fresh apricots, pitted and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 2 fresh peaches, pitted and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1/4 cup cognac or brandy
- Creme Fraiche:
- 1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
- 4 tablespoons sugar
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
On a lightly floured surface unfold the pastry and roll into a rectangle about 14 by 9-inches. Transfer to a buttered large baking sheet and spread the walnut paste evenly over the bottom, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Fold the dough border over to form an edge. Arrange the apricot and peach slices in overlapping rows on top of the paste and sprinkle with the sugar.
Bake until edges are just golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack.
To make the creme fraiche garnish, beat together the creme fraiche with the sugar. Serve with the galette.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001