Apricot Glazed Duck Breasts with Caramelized Apples
- Apricot Glaze:
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 boneless duck breasts
- 1 tablespoon Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup very thinly sliced yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 3 Braeburn or Gala apples, cored and cut into eighths
- 1/4 cup Calvados or apple cider
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Score the fat on the duck breasts, making a diamond pattern. Season the duck on all sides with the Essence, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 tesapoon of the pepper. To a hot saute pan, add duck, skin side down and cook until fat is rendered and skin is crispy, about 5 minutes. Turn the duck over and brush with the apricot glaze, cook another 5 minutes, for medium-rare.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until almost caramelized, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and when melted, add the sugar and cook until melted. Add the apples, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper, and cook until caramelized, about 10 to 12 minutes. Add the Calvados and thyme to the apples, and cook, scraping with a wooden spoon to deglaze the pan.
Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve. Serve the duck with the caramelized apples and the remaining apricot glaze.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Orange-Tarragon Duck Breast with Green Salad and Asparagus-Almond Rice, Balsamic-Glazed Apricots with Ricotta Clouds, Trio of Flavors on a Stick: Duck Mousse, Duck Breast and Meringue-Berry, Main Dish, Flank Steak Recipes, Applesauce Recipes, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Brandy, Turkey Breast Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.