- 3 pounds flank steak
- 4 tablespoons Emeril's Asian Spice Blend, recipe follows
- Shiitake Barbecue Sauce, recipe follows
- 10 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons sesame or peanut oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/2-inch piece gingerroot, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
- 1 bok choy, thinly sliced
- 1 small red pepper, julienned
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 cup mushroom-soaking water
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch diluted in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame, roasted peanut, or chili oil
Rub flank steak with spice blend. Let marinate for 1 hour or refrigerate overnight.
Preheat grill or broiler. Grill or broil steak on both sides for 6 minutes. Remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
Cover the mushrooms with 1 cup warm water and soak for 20 minutes. Reserve the liquid, discard the stems, and slice the caps into strips.
Heat wok with 2 tablespoons oil. Stir-fry garlic ginger, onion and mushrooms for 1 minute, then add the remaining vegetables. Stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes or until tender.
Add soy sauce, mushroom water, and cornstarch. Cook until slightly thickened. Drizzle with dark sesame oil, and season with salt.
Place Stir Fried Vegetables on platter. Thinly slice steak against the grain and fan over vegetables. Drizzle with Shiitake Barbecue Sauce.
Emeril's Asian Spice Blend:
- 1 tablespoon 5-spice powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne
In a small bowl, blend all the ingredients. Keep in an airtight container until ready to use.