Asparagus Frito Misto with Lemon Garlic Aioli and a Tomato Prosciutto Relish
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and small diced
- 1/4 cup small diced red onions
- 6 -ounces prosciutto ham, julienne
- Drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade of basil
- 2 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 pound asparagus, blanched
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Garlic Aioli:
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 large egg*
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 turns freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
Preheat the fryer.
In a mixing bowl, combine the garlic, tomatoes, onions, and prosciutto. Season with salt, pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir in the basil. Set aside. Season the asparagus and flour with salt and pepper.
In a shallow pie pan, whisk the eggs and milk together. Season with salt and pepper. Dredge each asparagus spear in the seasoned flour. Dip each spear in the egg wash, letting the excess drip off. Dredge the spears back in the flour, coating completely. Carefully lay a couple of the spears in the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Fry in batches. Remove the asparagus from the oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
To serve, lay the asparagus on a platter. Drizzle the aioli over the top. Mound the relish in the center of the asparagus and garnish with the cheese.Garlic Aioli:
Combine the garlic, egg, lemon juice, parsley, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree. Add the oil in a slow stream and continue to process until the mixture has formed a thick emulsion.
Yield: about 3/4 cup
*RAW EGG WARNING
Food Network Kitchens suggest caution in consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs due to the slight risk of Salmonella or other food-borne illness. To reduce this risk, we recommend you use only fresh, properly-refrigerated, clean, grade A or AA eggs with intact shells, and avoid contact between the yolks or whites and the shell.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.