Baby Lamb Chops with Rosemary Parmesan Crust and Barolo Syrup with Scalloped Potatoes and Haricots Verts
- Total Time:
- 1 hr 25 min
- 1 hr
- 25 min
- 8 servings as an appetizer or 4 servings as a main course
- 16 (2 to 3-ounce) baby lamb chops
- 2 tablespoons Emeril's Original Essence, recipe follows
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiana-Reggiano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Barolo Syrup, recipe follows
- Scalloped Potatoes, recipe follows
- Haricots Verts, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Barolo Syrup:
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onions
- 1/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 small bay leaf
- 2 cups reduced veal stock or rich chicken stock
- 1 bottle Barolo, or other hearty red wine
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Scalloped Potatoes:
- 1 teaspoon unsalted butter
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 3 1/4 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese, grated
- Haricots Verts:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound haricots verts, ends trimmed, or small thin green beans
Preheat grill over medium-high heat. Preheat the oven to broil. Lightly grease a large baking sheet and set aside.
Generously season the chops on both sides with the Essence and place onto the grill. Grill the chops until marked on both sides, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the grill and allow to cool.
Spread the lamb chops on a work surface covered with plastic wrap. Using your fingers, evenly spread a light coating of the mustard on both sides.
Combine the bread crumbs, cheese, oil, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a large shallow bowl and stir to mix well. Working 1 at a time, place the chops in the bread crumb mixture, turning to coat evenly on both sides and shaking to remove any excess. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 8 minutes for medium-rare, or until an instant-read thermometer registers 145 degrees F. Remove the chops from the oven, increase the temperature to broil, and arrange the rack to the highest position. Broil the chops until the crusts are golden brown and slightly crisp, 1 to 2 minutes.
To serve as an appetizer or main course, arrange the chops on either 8 small plates or 4 large plates, and using a tablespoon, drizzle the Barolo Syrup over the chops in a zigzag fashion. Serve alongside the Scalloped Potatoes and the Haricots Verts.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.Barolo Syrup:
Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. When the butter is foamy, add the onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaf, and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the veal stock and the wine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 1 hour, using a ladle as needed to skim any impurities that rise to the top of the surface.
Strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean saucepan. Return to medium heat and simmer until the syrup is reduced to 1/2 cup, 6 to 8 minutes.
Whisk in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, a few pieces at a time. When all the butter has been incorporated, remove from the heat, stir in the salt and pepper and serve immediately, or cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
Yield: 1/2 cupScalloped Potatoes:
Place the cream in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper, and stir well. Add the potatoes, adding more cream if necessary to completely cover the potatoes. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the potatoes are barely fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat.
With a large spoon, transfer 1/3 of the potatoes with some of the cream to the prepared dish, forming an even layer on the bottom. Top with 1/3 of the cheese, and continue layering the potatoes and cheese, ending with cheese on top. Place on a baking sheet and roast until golden brown and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Yield: 6 servingsHaricots Verts:
Bring a medium saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the haricots verts and cook until just tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to an ice bath to refresh. Drain. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the drained haricots verts, and cook, stirring, until just heated through and coated evenly with the butter, about 3 minutes.
Yield: 4 servings
Thank you! your flag was submitted.