- 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 6 ounces farmers cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup homemade Creme Fraiche, recipe follows, or store-bought
- 2 (6 1/2-ounce) cans minced clams, drained, juices reserved
- 3 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon white Worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Homemade Creme Fraiche
- Don't worry about the creme fraiche spoiling while it's sitting on the counter; the acid in the mixture prevents bacterial disease associated with dairy products.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
Place bacon in a saute pan and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Drain and crumble bacon. In a bowl, cream together the farmers cheese and creme fraiche. Add the remaining ingredients, stirring to combine. Add the clam juice for consistency and taste. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature and adjust seasoning, to taste, before serving.
Heat a deep pot of oil or a fryer to 360 degrees F. Add corn chips and fry until crispy and golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve chips with dip.
In a bowl, combine the cream and buttermilk. Cover with a clean kitchen cloth in a warm, draft-free place and let sit until thickened, but still a pourable consistency, 12 to 16 hours. Stir and refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
Yield: 1 cup
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2002