- 6 slices thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Walnut Butter, recipe follows
- Caramelized Onions, recipe follows
Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the egg and buttermilk, and stir just until blended, being careful not to over mix. Add the chives and crumble the bacon into the batter and mix to incorporate.
Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Ladle 2 tablespoon portions of batter into the pan, being careful not to overcrowd, and cook until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Add more oil to the pan as needed and repeat with the remaining batter.
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- 4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Place the butter, walnuts, shallots, garlic, and salt in a medium bowl, and mix well with a rubber spatula. Spoon down the middle of an 8-inch piece of parchment paper and roll into a log, about 1-inch in diameter. Wrap tightly and refrigerate until ready to use.
To use, cut into thin slices and place on top of the Bacon Pancakes. (The Walnut Butter can be frozen, tightly wrapped in plastic, for up to 1 month.)
Yield: 2/3 cup
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound yellow onions, peeled and very thinly sliced (4 cups)
Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and lower the heat to medium-low. Cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and caramelized, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to serve with the Bacon Pancakes.
Yield: 1 cup