- 1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground white pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 (4-ounce) trout fillets
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Set a large 4-quart Dutch oven 3/4 filled with water over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and add the asparagus. Cook until the asparagus is tender, about 3 minutes. Remove the asparagus from the Dutch oven and place immediately into ice water to cool. Remove from the ice water and place on a sheet pan. Season the asparagus with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the white pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Place in the oven for 3 minutes to re-warm once the fish has been removed from the oven.
Season the fish fillets on both sides with the remaining salt and pepper and lay in a 11 by 7 1/2-inch casserole dish. Add the tomatoes, capers, garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, rosemary and remaining olive oil to the casserole and place in the oven. Cook the fish until the flesh is lightly golden and flaky, about 10 minutes.
To serve the fish, divide the asparagus between 4 entree plates and lay a piece of fish with the tomatoes, capers, garlic and rosemary over the asparagus. Serve immediately.