Baked Oysters with Braised Leeks and Tasso Hollandaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 cup julienned leeks, bottom part only
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Salt and pepper
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup julienned tasso, rendered, fat reserved
- 1 dozen raw shucked oysters, reserving their shell
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Heat olive oil in a saute pan. Add the shallots, garlic, and leeks and saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add the white wine and continue cooking 2 to 3 minutes, or until the leeks are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
Fill the bottom of a double boiler with water, and bring it almost to a boil, lower the heat so the water is hot but not boiling.
Mix the egg yolks and lemon juice together in a stainless steel mixing bowl, place over the water bath and whisk until the yolks are at a ribbon stage. Combine the butter, and the reserved tasso fat together and gradually whisk into the egg mixture in a steady stream. Season with the salt and pepper and continue whisking until thick. Remove from the heat and keep warm until ready to serve.
Preheat broiler on high.
Combine the bread crumbs and Essence together in a mixing bowl. Completely coat each oyster with this mixture. Place each oyster back in its shell with a small amount of the leek mixture underneath. Broil until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse