Banja Gui: Barbecued Beef in a Lettuce Wrapper (Korea)
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds sirloin or flank steak, sliced thinly on the bias
- 1/2 cup julienned green onions (scallions)
- 2 teaspoons hot red chili powder
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 40 very thin slices garlic
- 20 large green or red lettuce leaves
In a large, non-reactive bowl, combine 1/2 cup soy sauce, the minced garlic, 1 tablespoon of the sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of the mirin, and the red pepper flakes. Add the meat toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.
Preheat the grill. Mix the remaining 1/4 cup soy sauce with remaining 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Add the green onions (scallions), and garlic, and toss to combine. Set aside. In a small bowl, combine the remaining teaspoon of mirin, the chili powder and sesame seeds.
Remove the steak from the marinade and pat dry. Grill for 1 minute on each side for medium-rare.
Lay the lettuce leaves on a flat work surface and rub the mirin mixture on the insides of the leaves. Set aside.
Lay several slices of cooked steak in center of each leaf, drizzle with about 1 tablespoon of the seasoned green onions (scallions), and top with 2 garlic slivers. Fold the lettuce over the steak and wrap tightly. Repeat with the remaining ingredients and serve immediately.