Barbequed Shrimp with Rosemary Biscuits
- 2 pounds medium shrimp in their shells
- 1 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Barbecue Sauce Base, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 recipe Rosemary Biscuits, recipe follows
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Barbeque Sauce Base:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 lemons, peeled, white pith removed, and quartered
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups shrimp stock
- 1 cup Worcestershire sauce
- Rosemary Biscuits:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary leaves
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup buttermilk
Peel and devein the shrimp, leaving their tails attached. Reserve the shells, if desired, to make the shrimp stock for the Barbeque Sauce Base. Season the shrimp with the Essence and black pepper, tossing to coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate while you make the sauce base and biscuits.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the seasoned shrimp and cook, stirring, until they begin to turn pink, about 2 minutes. Add the cream and Barbecue Sauce Base, reduce the heat to medium high, and simmer, stirring, until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Transfer the shrimp to a platter with tongs. Over medium low heat, gradually whisk the butter into the sauce. Remove from the heat.
Place 2 or 3 biscuits on each plate. Divide the shrimp among the biscuits, and top each serving with the sauce. Serve immediately.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch, published by William and Morrow, 1993.Barbeque Sauce Base:
Heat the olive oil in a medium heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic, lemons, and white wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add the shrimp stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sauce is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean container, pressing on the solids with the back of a spoon. Set aside until needed. The sauce base can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.
Yield: about 1/2 cupRosemary Biscuits:
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Work the butter into the flour with your fingertips or a fork until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the rosemary. Add 1/2 cup of the buttermilk a little at a time, using your hands to work it in just until incorporated and a smooth ball of dough forms. Add up to additional 1/4 cup buttermilk if necessary, being very careful not to overwork the dough or the biscuits will be tough.
On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough into a circle about 7 inches in diameter and 1/2-inch thick. Using a 1-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 12 biscuits.
Place the biscuits on a medium baking sheet. Bake until golden on top and lightly browned on the bottom, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm.
Yield: 12 mini biscuits
More Recipes and Ideas:
Spicy Shrimp and Pork Meatballs with Rujak Sauce, Grilled Shrimp in Lemon Leaves---Gamberoni Alle Foglie di Limone, Thai-Style Tomato and Shrimp Salad, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Stuffed Pork Chops Recipes, Christmas Appetizer Recipes, Antipasti Recipes, Deviled Egg Recipes, Dairy
Thank you! your flag was submitted.