- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, small dice
- 4 tablespoons minced garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, and add the basil leaves, red wine, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool the sauce before using it to make pizza.