Beer Battered Cod
- Oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 10 ounces beer
- 4 (6-ounce) fillets fresh cod
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or a Dutch oven to about 360 to 375 degrees F.
Add the first 5 ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined. Dip cod into the batter and allow any excess batter to drip off prior to adding to the preheated oil. Fry the fish until browned on both sides. Once browned, remove to a paper-towel lined plate and season with salt, to taste.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2007