Big and Crispy Onion Rings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 teaspoons hot red pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large or 2 small Vidalia or other sweet onions
- Peanut oil, for frying
- Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
Position a wire rack over a baking sheet. Dip the rings into the buttermilk and shake off any excess liquid. Working with a few slices at a time, dredge the slices into the flour mixture, shake off any excess, then dip again in the buttermilk and again in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess and transfer to the wire rack. Repeat with remaining onion slices.
Position a second wire rack over a baking sheet and place in the warmed oven. Fill a large, heavy Dutch oven with at least 2-inches of oil and heat to a temperature of 360 degrees F. (Or, alternatively, preheat a deep-fryer to 360 degrees F.) Fry the onion rings in batches, adding only as many rings as will fit without touching in 1 layer, until golden brown and floating on the surface of the oil, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove, using tongs, and transfer to a paper-lined plate to drain briefly, then transfer to the rack in the warm oven while you finish frying the remaining onion rings.
Serve onion rings hot.Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William Morrow, 1993.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.