Black as Night Risotto with Acorn Squash and Parmesan
- 1 acorn squash (about 2 pounds), halved, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon Emeril's Essence, recipe follows
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup chopped yellow onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (4-gram) packet squid ink
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 4 ounces Parmesan curls
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Toss the squash with the oil and Essence, and spread in 1 layer on a baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
In a medium pot, bring the broth to a simmer and keep at a bare simmer.
In a large pot, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the grains are opaque, about 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it evaporates. Add 1/2 cup of the stock, the squid ink, the salt, and pepper. Continue to cook and stir, adding 1/2 cup of the stock at a time as the rice absorbs the liquid. Cook until all the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender, about 20 minutes.Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.
More Recipes and Ideas:
Sweet Corn, Black Trumpet and Truffle Risotto, Deep-Fried Black-Eyed Pea and Ham Bites with a Sweet Cranberry Dipping Sauce, Risotto Cakes with Mixed Greens, Parmesan Cheese, Garlic Chicken Recipes, Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipes, New York Strip Steak Recipes, Veal Chop Recipes, Spanish Rice Recipes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.