- 1/2 pound black beans, cooked until tender, with 2 ham hocks and chicken stock, cooking liquid reserved
- 1/2 small onion, medium diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and white pepper
- Hot sauce
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour, seasoned with 1/2 tablespoon Essence, recipe follows
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Lime Crema, recipe follows
- Chunky Guacamole, recipe follows
In the bowl of a food processor, puree 1/2 of the drained black beans. Add the onion, garlic and cilantro and pulse to combine. (A small amount of bean cooking liquid may be added as needed to puree.) Add the egg and pulse for 10 seconds. Transfer mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Add the remaining half of the beans and gradually add the flour until the mixture becomes firm enough to form into a loose ball. Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce. If too thick, adjust consistency with bean cooking liquid. Form cakes using a 4-ounce ice cream scoop. Dredge in seasoned flour prior to cooking. Heat a large non-stick saute pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Cook black bean cakes for 3 minutes on each side, until golden brown and crispy.
Place a scant 1/4 cup of Lime Crema on a plate, place Bean Cake on top and garnish with a healthy dollop of Chunky Guacamole.
Essence (Emeril's Creole Seasoning):
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly and store in an airtight jar or container.
Yield: about 2/3 cup
Recipe from New New Orleans Cooking, by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch. Published by William and Morrow, 1993.