- 5 cups cooked and drained black-eyed peas
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled, fat reserved separately
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion (1/2 medium onion)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Combine the black-eyed peas, crumbled bacon, 3 tablespoons of the reserved bacon fat, and all remaining ingredients in a large bowl, and toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or preferably overnight, stirring occasionally.
Allow salad to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before serving. Toss well just before serving.
Emeril's ESSENCE Creole Seasoning (also referred to as Bayou Blast):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
Yield: 2/3 cup
Recipe from "New New Orleans Cooking", by Emeril Lagasse and Jessie Tirsch
Published by William and Morrow, 1993.